Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Union Pacific (Ellis House) Elllis,Kansas


The Hotel ( Ellis House) was a new challenge, it had been built of limestone.  I was not sure how I was going to recreate the look of limestone.   I finally decides to try casting it out out of hysterical, a kind of plaster. After casting a blank sheet of the stuff, I began cutting in each block one at a time.  It did take some time but it was fun.  The results are shown on the left.  The Hotel as finished in the early 1870's had a fire and the rebuild version had the increased number of dormers and the mansur roof.
This is the version I have chosen to build.  The hotel also had a kitchen connected on the Northwest corner.  The laundry was a separate building located almost due north and almost on Dorance street.

No comments: